June 15 – August 15, 2020
Bomper Studio have launched a contest for all aspiring character animators that challenges them to create their own animation using the fully rigged character – Colin – from Coffee Run; the studio’s first stand-alone short.
Contestants can win fantastic prizes ranging from a full year of Cinema 4D subscription, a top-notch animation workstation from Renderboxes, to a virtual internship at the studio with access to all departments.
In January 2020, Bomper Studio released ‘Coffee Run’; a story of a hard-pressed protagonist making an elaborate coffee round for his colleagues. The film was made as part of an in-house competition and exercise in creating the studio’s first stand-alone short, with one character and environment using Cinema4D.
Bomper’s credo is to embrace their natural curiosity and challenge our ambitions. This paved the way for film which had three aims: to learn new skills outside of the constraints of a client project, to expand the studio pipeline, and to have a ton of fun in doing so.
Now, Bomper wants to share that experience by providing their fully rigged character called Colin; waiting to come to life and be animated by you. Making this the perfect opportunity for beginners to experiment and showcase their skills to the community.
This is an open brief to all aspiring animators looking to expand their talents, with no set theme.
We’re looking for memorable work, filled with character and bold originality. Make us laugh or make us cry; this is an opportunity to freely unleash your imagination, challenge your ambitions and push the limits of the character in Cinema 4D.
We will be judging purely on your ideas, rather than execution of perfectly rendered scenes; so will accept submission from viewport render to final output.
The rules for participating in the contest are simple:
- All animation must be made using Cinema4D
- You must use the ‘Coffee Run’ character for the rig (you can use the character once or as many times as you want in a scene, and we’re open to re-texturing the character).
- You must use one environment for your animation.
- Submissions must be 10-20 seconds maximum duration.
- Downloaded animation sequences using motion capture will not be considered.
- You are limited to 1 submission per artist/ animator.
- Submissions must be made by 15 August, 2020, 23:59 Pacific Time.
- Employees of Bomper Studio and the sponsors as well as their relatives are not allowed to enter the contest
- No cash disbursement and/or replacement of the prizes is possible
- Recourse to the courts is not permitted.
Virtual Internship with Bomper
Bomper will be providing you with intimate access to members of the team across the studio, through one-to-one sessions. Explore all aspects of production, storytelling, animation and filmmaking. Ask questions, get great advice, learn the tricks of the trade and connect with mentors from the studio.
Want to make your submission into a short film? Bomper will build it into the experience, sharing their learnings from ‘Coffee Run’ and guiding you through each part of the production process to complete your film.
- Two full day experience with Bomper across departments (English Speaking) over a three week period.
- Follow up session with the team
- Furthermore: Assistance on art direction for your film and rendering support if you decide to continue working on it
1 Year Cinema 4D Subscription
Make your ideas come true with a full year of free subscription to Cinema 4D. Whether you want to turn your first animation into an entire movie or delve into other areas of 3D visualization, the intuitive toolset of Cinema 4D will allow you to explore the world of 3D without limits.
Easy to learn and extremely powerful: Cinema 4D is the perfect package for all 3D artists who want to achieve breathtaking results fast and hassle-free. Beginners and seasoned professionals alike can take advantage of Cinema 4D’s wide range of tools and features to quickly achieve stunning results. Cinema 4D’s legendary reliability also makes it the perfect application for demanding, fast-paced 3D production.
Renderboxes is a UK-based manufacturer of high-end, multi GPU workstations. Their acclaimed Molecule product line powers some of the finest 3D artists and they have designed a new model for this competition named the ‘Nano’.
The winner will receive a Nano with the following render crunching specification:
- Renderboxes Molecule Nano
- AMD Ryzen 3900X 12 core/24 Thread CPU
- Asus X570 WS motherboard
- 32GB ECC DDR4 Ram
- 1TB NVMe M.2 Boot Drive
- 1TB NVME M.2 Scratch Drive
- PNY Nvidia RTX2080 Super 8GB GPU
- Noctua fan cooling
- 1000W EVGA Power supply
- Windows Pro 10 64 Bit
See more on Renderboxes here.
How to Enter
The Colin rig from ‘Coffee Run’ is now available to download. Just click the button below!
To achieve 2D cartoon-style smears, Bomper created a robust rig, which allowed them to deform the character in novel ways. To learn more about the rig, you can watch the webinar below. In this webinar Bomper Studio’s animators, Claire Hodges and Alan Towndrow, demonstrate the rig. They also discuss all the nitty gritty details on how the rig works, as well as animation principles, different styles that are achievable, and break down animation in Cinema4d.
We’ve put together the following jury, who will be reviewing and choosing their favourite submissions. Once they’ve selected a shortlist, an extra jury seat will go out to the public on Instagram, so you can join the jury and help vote for the winner!
Emlyn Davies, Executive Creative Director @ Bomper Studio
Can Erduman, Senior Character Animator
Can is a 3D Artist, located in Mainz, Germany. He graduated in Media Design at the University of Applied Sciences in Mainz.With several years of freelancing experience, he is doing character animation, motion graphics and product illustrations for studios and industry clients around Europe. He has delivered character animation for iconic products like Lego and Caprisun and frequently talks at international conferences like Playgrounds, FMX or IBC.
Alwyn Hunt, Co-founder @ The Rookies
Alwyn is co-founder of The Rookies, the most influential platform for aspiring artists. He has a background in fine arts and has been in the industry for over 15 years. He has worked at a number of studios around the world including Sony Imageworks, The Moving Picture Company, Double Negative, Animal Logic, Rising Sun Pictures and Weta Digital. Alwyn has a passion for the industry and an interest in helping create pathways for emerging artists into leading studios globally.
Maxon, Makers of Cinema 4D
We’ve put together some additional resources to help you get started!
- Beginner’s Guide to Learning Animation in Cinema 4D (Michael Balchaitis)
- Are you making these 5 Animation Mistakes in Cinema 4D? (Grey Scale Gorilla)
- Cinema 4D Tutorial – intro to Animation with Keyframes, Motion Curves, and the Animation Timeline (Sean Frangella)
- Cinema 4D Tutorial – Character Animation Wave (C4dUK)
- Cinema 4D Tutorial – Animate a Character Walk Cycle (eyedesyn)
- Josh Hicks (Bomper Studio) @ Vertex 2020 – ‘Making ‘Coffee Run’; a short character animation film using Cinema4D’
- Case study about Coffee Run on Maxon’s website